the 2019 hyundai tucson's all-around competence and improved value for the new model year make it worth checking out in an increasingly packed class of mainstream compact suvs. unfortunately, its general improvements do not carry over to epa-estimated gas mileage ratings. what does that look like to you when it finally comes time to fill 'er up?
with pump prices continuing to climb around the country, it's going to be more this week than it was seven days ago. the aaa daily fuel gauge report early on thursday said the national average for regular was $2.52, up a significant 7 cents from a week ago.
the five-seat tucson is available with a 2.0-liter or 2.4-liter four-cylinder used engine — both of which burn regular gas — and front- or all-wheel drive. all models come with a six-speed automatic transmission. here is what it would cost to fill the tucson's 16.4-gallon tank based on prices posted thursday by aaa:
- at the national average of $2.52 for regular, filling the tank from empty would cost $41.33.
- in mississippi, which had the lowest average price for regular at $2.27, the cost would drop to $37.22.
- in hawaii, however, where regular was $3.35 to once again lead the nation as most expensive, filling the tank would cost $54.94.
regular wasn't the only type of fuel to take a hit. premium was 6 cents higher on the week at $3.06, and diesel fuel was a penny higher at $3.01.
prices have increased for seven of the last nine weeks, and on thursday regular and premium were just a penny less than a year ago. (diesel was 8 cents higher.) motorists are paying 24 cents more per gallon on average for regular gas than a month ago, and gas for less than $2 has almost disappeared.
gasbuddy.com said monday that only 135 stations nationally were still selling gas for less than $2, and that number was sure to decline as prices climbed during the week.
more from :
- crash-safety goal post moved for 2019: which cars scored top honors?
- which suvs have the best pedestrian detection systems?
- hyundai tucson n line stays in line with sporty-styled siblings
- more hyundai tucson news
's editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. in line with 's long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don't accept gifts or free trips from automakers. the editorial department is independent of 's advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.