having just driven the redesigned 2019 toyota rav4, we now have pricing and fuel economy ratings, as well. non-hybrid versions of the rav4 hit dealers in december 2018, while hybrid versions will take a bit longer, arriving in march 2019.
toyota adds two new trim levels to the 2019 rav4: the more-rugged adventure and sporty hybrid xse. adventure and xle premium versions come only with non-hybrid drivetrains, and the xse hybrid is (obviously) hybrid-only. those three aside, the rav4 also comes in le, xle and limited trim levels, all available with either drivetrain.
standard on all models is toyota's safety sense 2.0 suite of safety features, as well as its entune 3.0 multimedia system with subscription-based in-car wi-fi and compatibility with both amazon alexa and apple carplay. android auto is, however, still unavailable.
breaking down the price
non-hybrid versions are available in either front- or all-wheel drive except for the adventure, which is awd only. awd is standard on all rav4 hybrid models. adding the feature to the non-hybrid tacks on $1,400 to the rav4's price; the hybrid drivetrain costs an additional $800 beyond that. here's how the rav's pricing breaks down per trim (all prices include destination):
- le models start at $26,545 with fwd. adding awd brings it up to $27,945, and a hybrid le starts at $28,745.
- xle models start at $28,345, with increases to $29,745 and $30,545 for awd and hybrid models, respectively.
- upgrading to the xle premium costs an extra $2,200 beyond the regular xle; fwd models run from $30,545 with fwd and $31,945 with awd.
- adventure models — again, non-hybrid with awd only — cost $33,945 to start.
- xse hybrids start at $34,745.
- limited models begin at $34,545 for fwd vehicles. awd non-hybrid versions start at $35,945, while hybrids start at $36,745.
the previous-generation rav4 had a base price of $25,705. the new rav4 is also pricier than several major 2019 model-year competitors: the honda cr-v ($25,345 with fwd or $26,745 with awd), mazda cx-3 (also $25,345 and $26,745, respectively), nissan rogue ($25,845 with fwd or $27,195 with awd) and subaru forester ($25,270 with standard awd).
related: 2019 honda cr-v: everything you need to know
costs more to go farther
- the 2019 rav4 is pricier than its previous generation. but it also improves on gas mileage across the board, especially for hybrid models, by toyota's estimates (final epa estimates are still pending).
- toyota estimates fwd models will get 26/34/29 mpg city/highway/combined for the le and limited (27/34/29 for the front-drive xle and xle premium). that's up considerably versus the 2018 rav4's 25-26 mpg with fwd, depending on trim, in combined epa ratings.
- impressively, awd models should see virtually no mileage penalty, with projected ratings at 26/33/29 mpg for the le, xle and xle premium trim.
- adventure and limited awd drive models have a separate, more complex awd system and see a moderate drop-off to 24/32/27 mpg. if epa numbers confirm this, it's still better than the prior rav4's fwd rating.
- all hybrid models, even the sport-tuned xse hybrid, are rated at an excellent 41/37/39 mpg. that's quite the projected jump from 2018 rav4 hybrid's 34/30/32 mpg.
's editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. in line with 's long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don't accept gifts or free trips from automakers. the editorial department is independent of 's advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.