a long-awaited replacement for subaru's ill-fated tribeca three-row suv, the all-new 2019 subaru ascent is on sale now. with all-wheel drive and subaru's eyesight safety technology as standard equipment, the ascent comes in four trim levels with a starting price (including destination) around $33,000. load up all the factory options, and the suv tops out around $46,000. the ascent seats eight with the standard second-row bench; optional second-row captain's chairs drop seating capacity to seven.
how did subaru get here? back in late 2013, the automaker scuttled the age-old tribeca, a three-row suv that came up short on family space. subaru promised a replacement at the time, calling the absence of a three-row suv a "doughnut hole" in the lineup — that's from tom doll, subaru's u.s. chief. young and older shoppers loved the brand, but those in between often left to other brands, doll said.
subaru hopes to right the ship with the all-new ascent, a vehicle unveiled at the 2017 los angeles auto show. the automaker sold its first ascent nearly seven months later to a longtime subaru owner near milwaukee; as of this writing, dealers list some 4,400 new examples on .
what else do you want to know? read on.
- 's first drive review: 2019 subaru ascent first drive: ready to conquer a family's everyday adventures
- and our video: 2019 subaru ascent first drive video: does it rise to the occasion?
- safety: 2019 subaru ascent is tops in safety ratings
- more safety: twin peaks: 2019 subaru ascent scores second top crash rating
- pricing and gas mileage: subaru announces price, gas mileage for 2019 ascent
- more fuel musings: 2019 subaru ascent: what's the cost of a fill-up?
- car-seat accommodations: how do car seats fit in a 2019 subaru ascent?
- family features: subaru ascent looks to unseat conventional rear entertainment options
- even more family features: on national drive-thru day, the subaru ascent is cupholder king
- rival comparisons: subaru ascent vs. volkswagen atlas: the family (suv) feud begins
- recalls: 2019 subaru ascent: recall alert
's editorial department is your source for automotive news and reviews. in line with 's long-standing ethics policy, editors and reviewers don't accept gifts or free trips from automakers. the editorial department is independent of 's advertising, sales and sponsored content departments.